Saturday, October 4, 2008

Race for education 10k

Instead of getting a nice long Saturday run in today I decided to hit a local 10-k in Midway, Ky.
Since I can't remember the last time I ran a 10-k, it's mostly been jumps from 5k to half or marathon distance I thought it would be pretty fun.
We stared out with an awesome clear morning with some of the coldest temps we've had this fall.
The course started in downtown (see 1 block) Midway and proceeded out past some nice horse farms and rolling hills. I ran with a friend from work and planned on doing about a 9 mile pace. We were both surprised when our first mile was below 8 minute mile pace. I felt great and it seemed easy so we kept right around there for most of the race. Training in the hills of Frankfort I didn't find anything on the course that taxed me too much although there were certainly rolling hills.
At the halfway point I was still feeling a bit tight in my hamstrings from running 16 a day and half prior but was starting to loosen up. Heading for home it was a struggle not to kick it in too fast, especially when I knew I could catch a group of 3 0r 4 runners a quarter mile in front. My buddy thought I might have been picking it up a little too much and he may have been right. When I went back and looked at my splits we went from running an 8:15 mile from 3 to 4 and a 7:30 from 4-5. My bad, at this point I was smelling the barn so at mile 5 I decided to make a break with the goal of catching a girl who had passed me early. I caught her within probably 3/4 miles and ran with her to mile 6, when she looked over at me and said "you're gonna make me kick aren't you", to which I replied "sorry, I have to try" and took off.
In the end, I finished below 48 minutes which I'm sure is a PR for me at the distance. Turned out to be a great race and I wound up getting 3rd place in my age group which is always fun! I couldn't help but think about how much longer I would be going in two weeks in Nashville and how six miles will be approximately 1/8 of a 50 miler and usually the point I start getting warmed up.

So with my other couple of days in the week it looks like I am up to about 36 miles to end the week. Looking forward to a nice long run tomorrow after watching my wife compete in the tri-for-sight.

No comments: