Thursday, November 6, 2008

2 days till the start...

Lo and behold the race is near.
After having it in on my radar for over three months it's hard to believe that Saturday morning I will set off on my 100 mile adventure.

I would like to report that the week prior has been spent doing what your supposed to do before a big race, mainly resting, stretching and eating properly but that hasn't been the case.

Instead I've spent most of my time working on the paper accompanying this project and trying to make sense as the project continues to mushroom.

The sheer size of this event can seem overwhelming at times as I've been working to assemble equipment arrange drop bags and the like.

I finally feel like I have all the equipment I need, mainly new shoes, compression tights, gels, headlamps, redbull! etc. and am in the process of assembling drop bags and crew bags for my wife to have available as she meets me at various locations along the trail.

I wish we were able to leave first thing tomorrow morning, arrive early in Sylacauga, look around have lunch and catch a movie but again this is not the case. Instead we will try to get out of town by noon since Jody has to work in the morning, get to Bama by 7, which fortunately is 6 there time and check in, weigh in, dig in and settle in the hotel for maybe six hours sleep.

The plan Saturday is to get up about 3, eat something and head to the rec dept. in Sylacauga to catch the shuttle to the start at 4 am. Race check in will be from 5 to 5:30 and the race will start at six!

If all goes as planned, (what could go wrong) I would like to finish between 24 and 26 hours at which time I will hopefully be able to shower, change and convert the back of our toyota matrix into a portable mash unit complete with sleeping pad and blankets.

After other ultras I'm fairly certain my body would not tolerate sitting in a car seat for another eight hours home so I'm hoping that by lying flat I may delay the inevitable. Sunday evening we should be back in Frankfort and good to go!

It will be interesting for sure to see what challenges will be thrown in along the way.

The weather looks to be perfect for Saturday although some of the course might be a bit muddy since it is supposed to rain on Friday. Maybe it will soften the trail up a bit and make it easier on the legs!

Well, now back to writing my paper.

Look forward to the next installment with the full weekend report!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Dude ... I'm totally prayin' for ya! Good luck. And good luck to Jody on finding her way to each check point. :) I know that will be a challenge in and of itself. Love ya guys!