Wednesday, September 17, 2008

9/17 training update

Over the past couple of days I've taken it pretty easy as far as training goes.
With sick kids being the main focus of my attention I've mostly been staying home cleaning, feeding, bathing and putting kids to bed.
Monday I took a rest day both because of the kids and because I was able to get some decent mileage in on Sunday evening.
Tuesday I got about 3.5 miles in on the treadmill doing some pretty challenging intervals and hill work. I had meant to get up early and get an hour or so in but that didn't materialize.
Today I did roll myself up out of bed albeit not as early as I intended and was able to get about 45 minutes in running in some pleasant cool weather. Still working to figure out comfortable ways to run with my headlamp. This morning I experimented using one of the ubiquitous "buffs" made famous by survivor. Mine is a souvenir from the Lovin the Hills 50k. I found that it made a nice comfortable headband to offset the headlamp strap. I really didn't need the headlamp this morning as I was mostly in the city with a few exceptions but just wanted to continue to get used to the feel of it.
Had training in the morning for work but was able to get out in the afternoon and ride 30 miles. I wanted to get in a last long hilly ride before this weekend and this one fit the bill. The main excitement, however, was outdistancing a chow heading towards me out of the corner of my eye with lightning fast speed and nefarious intent. Fortunately I was going downhill and able to blast by him before we crossed paths. After cars, dogs are definitely my number one concern when running and riding long distances. I had another encounter with a dog earlier in my ride but used my skills of perception to determine that his bark was just that and his friendly tail wag an indicator that he meant no harm. All in all, a beautiful afternoon with highs in the 70's. A refreshing break from the hot weather of the weekend.

No comments: