Friday, September 12, 2008

Training 9/11

Feeling pretty fresh after yesterday's mix of trail and treadmill today I was able to pick it up a bit. After getting dropped last week fairly quickly on the group road bike ride I decided to make an effort to stay with the lead pack. Last night's ride was about 23 miles and I was able to stick with the leaders for probably the first 12 miles before getting dropped on the hills. The first half seemed pretty difficult for me averaging between 20-23 mph.

Afterwards came home with tired legs and ran about six miles of intervals on the treadmill up to about 7.5 minute miles. Seems like I always have the tendency to run faster than I should on the treadmill and it seems my knees have been a bit sore throughout the day. I definitely have noticed that my metabolism has been much higher with the interval sessions and have been eating quite a bit more.

Have been using accelerade throughout my long workouts with Endurox R4 for recovery drink afterwards. I definitely can tell a big difference in my energy level with accelerade versus standard gatorade that is more like a quick sugar burst. So far the Endurox seems to be working pretty well also. I did have crazy dreams the first night I used it so don't know if it was reaction to the ingredients or something else.

So for the week I've got pretty close to 35 miles running and 23 of riding, on the low end of my 30-50 mile goal. Just checked the Pinhoti site and am officially registered so the race seems closer every day.

Still am looking forward to racing Bad to the Bone Duathlon next week and hope to incorporate a double for the day, racing in the morning (3mi run 26 bike 3 mi run) and trying to get another ten in the evening. Much of what I have read in training for ultras mentions either doing back to back long runs or doubles for distances of 50 miles or more. This makes sense and for me I would prefer to do two a days since going back to work on sore legs is always in the back of my mind.

I will probaby take it easy tomorrow as I 'me looking forward to a full day of hanging out with my wife and kids, taking a class at church and taking the kids too gymnastics.

Depending on the weather I will probably try to get 3-4 hours in on Sunday.

No comments: